Pages

August 4, 2011

Revisiting Caniago Island Day 1

Last May my colleagues and I decided to have a last blow of summer as the group decided to go to canigao island in Matalom Leyte. Since this will also be like a dispedida for both James and Francis before they will go to Singapore.

The gathering place was on Francis Moreno's boarding house and some just went directly to the port since they could not make it on time. Both Ron and James arrive in the port just in last minute before the departure. Ron came together with her fiance and James together with his family (wife and 2 kids).

When we were sailing in the seas my friends fell as sleep as I was just listening to some music on my iPod. Since my insomnia was at it's peek I was not able to sleep until we arrive at Bato Leyte. The cool breeze of air welcome us and the sound of tricycle from my uncle was waiting. After we departed the boat we took time to get necessary foods and things in the near by market and going to our destination. As we were approaching my home town I decided told my uncle to stop over my fathers house so that I can greet him and also to borrow some kitchen utensils.

It's nearly 5 years when my last visit of my home town and still little changes I have noticed. Tall tress and green rice fields still captured my seen. The big cross at the back of my fathers house was still there and it was repainted. My little cousins also greeted me and some of my few relatives who were shocked seeing my unexpected.

We arrive at the rest house exactly 9 a.m and took manners in preparing for breakfast and arranging our belongings in the dorm. While others where busy playing dota and also cooking for lunch. Some even took a bath already in the sea since the tide was high. After lunch the group decided to go the canigao island and we were fetch via boat.

As we were approaching to the island I could see that the place was starting to be developed and getting crowded. Well it's summer and a lot of people preferably know now the place. A lot of changes I noticed on the island and among of them is that cottages were everywhere and also a watch tower were made for life guards to monitor the people. There is now an entrance both were in you will pay entrance fee for Php 10.00 per head.

As we find our spot and place to settle down since the front part of the island was merely crowded and full of people. We decided to take a walk going to the other side of the island which was just a couple of walk from the sea shore. As I roam my eyes seeing the changes that was implemented in the island. I can see how people tend to forget how to take care of nature and how to preserve it. I saw that the middle part of the island going to the light tower was now cleaned up. And all those trees and bushes were removed.

As we continue to walk in the shore line I also noticed that roap's were used as boundaries in the coastal area. This signifies that if a swimmer went out of that area he/she will be in trouble since the island is full of strong water currents. Currents that could drive you away to a far area in a matter of seconds. It's clear enough that those roap's act as precaution's to those swimmers.

After 5 years I can feel again the fine sand and watch the green and blue water of the island. I missed this feeling way back when. Were in you could just watch how nature tend to erase your problems and grunges. The sea breeze was perfect were it soothes your skin the moment it hits you. Yet there were some things that I as a bit disappointed like no proper maintenance of the island. Garbage and other stuffs that can trigger the destruction of the place were there. Some were dangerously walking in the sanctuary and some were also getting sea clamps. Which is not prohibited because it's a sanctuary place.

I used to sit down in this sea shore and let the waves hit my feet. As I could take a wide look of the long site in front of me. And listen to the deafening silence. I can just recall that only bird tweets and sea shore waves were the most dominant sound I can hear. And this was also the place were my grand father take a break after long hours of fishing or seek shelter when a storm nor typhoon hits them while fishing. It's kind of a different island now. Compared five years or even long time ago were sea snake, birds and sea turtles are only the visitors of the island.

This will be a big challenge for the mayor on how he will maintain and propagate the place that capture my childhood. This was one of the places that acted my motivation to learn how to swim since when I was a child my father or uncle would dare my to learn how to swim so that I can go along with them in fishing. And They would not let me come together with them because I don't know how to swim.

After a walk we finally settled down a sport were we set up a tent for our belongings and start to indulge the sea. We tried to enjoy every part and every minute we could since we decided not to have an overnight in the island for security and food purposes. We would go back to the rest house for dinner. As a storm was approaching we could just see the dark skies in front of the island.

We decided to roam around and have a tour of the island. We managed to went around the island going to the sanctuary place. We stop at the back of the island waiting for a sunset and also had fun with little fish jumping in the shore line. Clear water like the river what entertained us at the back of the island. But thick clouds covered the sun and we did not get a chance for a sunset in the island.

When we got back in the rest house we ate dinner. And after a while others felt tired and went to sleep. While others decided to sit for a while and have a drink and talk about jokes and nonsense things.

No comments:

Post a Comment