Pages

April 3, 2008

Little Girl

"There was this one little girl who approached me when I was crossing the same street where preachers I have found. Her face was filled with dirt all over and there was a grain of rice in her lip. This is clearly a sign of poverty."

She was begging for a peso and reasoned out that she wants to buy food for her to eat. Her eyes can’t look straight to my own eyes, I don’t know if she was just a shy type of a girl or if she was just not telling the truth. I stared at her for some time. She would glance unto me with a very hungry face, and would later turn her head back down as if she was refusing my eyes to meet with hers. I was standing in the middle of the street during that time, and because of that, she would raise her head up stare to the sky for her to see me. Then I decided to sit down for her to easily look forward. She was still evading my eyes as I look at her dirt filled face. Regardless of that, I asked her if where she would by food if I gave her a peso and if what she would buy for what I have given. She answered me with a stare to the ground.

As I was talking to her, I noticed children of her same age at my back. Like her, they were dirt all over their body; some of them don’t even have shirts. They were gambling. Somehow, a pinch in the heart hit me and I began to question myself whether or not it is right to give this little girl what she was asking for. Then the green light stopped me wandering for me to cross the street. I held the little girl with me crossing on the other side of the street. When we reached the other side I pulled her in a not so crowded corner. I gave her a five peso (Php5.00) coin. As she was accepting it, I can see how toiled her little hands were. It was as if it has never been cleaned from the moment she was given birth. I placed it over her hands and said to her to buy bread instead of doing the gambling. She just nodded at me. I shook her head with my hands and told her to go.

After that, I walked to where I was going. I was still thinking if that was the right thing to do. I was thinking, what if she would just gamble just like the rest of the children in the streets. Then I smiled and talked to myself, “Well then, at least I cared.” And with lightened heart I continued my walk.

“We might sometimes think that we were unlucky in life, heavily burdened and problems of no solutions, but I tell you, we are lucky enough for us to read this article over the internet. We still have an edge over them. Keep the spirits up.”

3 comments:

  1. i cant say its bad nor good in giving alms to those street children, we are just human who feel for them...
    Sometimes we have to be firm and think well what could be the best thing we can do for them.
    A lot of things that could happen with the money we gave...most of them brings no good...it is just like we are supporting there vices and telling them that it is ok.....

    The coins we gave will just overpass them to few hours of suffering from hungry...
    This children shouldn't be on the street and think for their food to eat...A lot of rights that were deprived from them.There young minds were exploited with reality of the world. They should be sent to school and give them education before introducing the reality of world. They are not ready for this things.

    There are organization(NGO) who take good care of this children.
    We can give them idea of where they can go to have their education and who will care for all their rights.
    We should help them to understand what is this organization and how could this help them to build up their manhood.

    I have a friend who is working from NGO, I asked him about this things.
    He answered me that it is the children's choice to live on the streets.They don't want to be far from their parents and some says they are happy living on the sidewalks...where they can go anywhere they like and do whatever they want.

    This children cant think better of what is good for them, they only care where they are happy.

    We, as the elders, should educate and help them how can they have their rights and proper education.

    I do not gave money to this children, but I include them with to prayers.

    God bless everybody...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a very touching, i always tell my kids how lucky they are when we see street kids and that they should be blessed about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is not just an article..for me, this is a reality" for us to realize the situation we are in" the fact that we're living under the shadow of poverty...speaking of street children we may see them normally straying along the street begging for a peso..some may yelled at them and dont even care how these street children stive from hunger..thirst..lack of shelter,emotional and spiritual guidance..the question is if you we're in their shoes what will you feel??mybe you can sigh where is equality?? but we cannot change the truth..even twist the fact nor escape...since its there we may cant provide them everything they need but we can share our blessings even in a litle way and most through prayers..The thought here is you can give without loving..but..you cant love without giving"

    ReplyDelete