Pages

April 22, 2008

An Idiot's Guide to Happiness

It's been quite a while since I wrote something. I've been very busy with work, and also theres this training that I have to attend after work. There was this experience I had with a little boy that urge me to write this post.

One time, I was with my girlfriend in their balcony when I noticed her nephew. He was almost 4 years old. He was playing together with the other kids. He was wearing an old torn t-shirt together with a pair of mismatched slippers. He had a sister and a little brother. His father has no work or any means of income and is also a drug user. Their mother left them because she found out her husband had another woman.

Funny thing is, as I watch this boy... I couldn't find a trace of loneliness in him. He was the happiest boy playing in the street. He runs around freely, not minding how cruel the environment that surrounds him. Then it hit me right in the face.

Why? Why is he still smiling amidst everything .

I noticed that when we grow older... the better we understand things, the more we get afraid. The more we yearn, the more we crave. Our satisfaction becomes more deeper to fulfill. Why is that? Are we not satisfied with what we have today? Why do we feel envy? Why do we feel hatred? Did we feel those feelings when we were kids?

And one more question that keeps me awake at night. "Am I really happy?"

I couldn't answer that question anymore. When we get older, we are no longer contented with what we have. We yearn for more... thus creating hatred, creating greed and everything.

I wish I'd be the same as the boy, playing in the street. Waking up in the morning, thinking what adventures may lie ahead of me with my friends. Running around freely without the doubt of breaking any laws or hurting anyones pride. Shouting my lungs out in laughter without any worries of politics, corruption or killings.

Ignorance is Bliss...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Francis! Just bloghopping. I agree with you. When we were kids, it's like all we ever do is play. But when we grow up, it's like we make our lives more complicated. We forget about the fun and the magic of being a kid. :-) Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes, kids appreciate life the most...while adults tend to see the more negative thoughts

    ReplyDelete