Pages

July 27, 2013

Jeepney chants

It was a rainy cold night when I was leaving home. I'm on my way to visit a colleague friend and also to have some "korom" time. While riding a multicab going to Parkmall this group of male singers suddenly started to introduce themselves inside the running vehicle. They start to have this same dialogue

"Ate kuya ayaw hugawa inyo huna-huna. Manganta rami dili me snatcher dili me kawatan...."

When they haven't made that introduction I knew it that they're some of those jeepney rappers. As they started caroling their composed rap I look away and ignored them. When they're done singing they would asked some money(cents) from the passengers. So I tend not to look at them and avoid eye contact so that they would think I am not interested. At the same time showing them that I don't really care and have no intention in giving some of my money(coins, cents).

When I arrived in parkmall I ride another jeepney having the route of Urgello Colon(01k). It was just in time that I was the last person to ride the jeepney parked in the terminal before it would leave. While the jeepney was running the rained poured hard.

The jeepney stopped after the driver to pulled over since a passenger was gonna ride. And suddenly a group of little girls immediately got inside the jeepney before we could leave. They're soaked in wet and probably around 4-5 years old.

I was thinking "Here we go again..another part of street rap and singing".  I knew it all along when they introduced themselves the same as those introduction that the first street rappers made few minutes ago.

I was gonna do the same thing and ignore them. But the moment they started singing it was a different thing And not even similar to those rapper boys so I started to listen to there chants. To my consent I was enjoying at it and started to stomp my feet secretly. While listening to their lyrics carefully realizing that these girls quite have a different gig.

They're singing a different theme and some of the passengers started laughing. The little girls entertained us by singing what they have composed but the lyrics were a bit funny. As I recall some the lyrics goes like this:

"Mga Kuya pina pilit ang hinapay pero torpe"
"Mga Ate baga og make up pero dili d i mga Babae"

All along while these girls were singing I was nodding my head and appreciated what they have done. And after what they have performed. It convinced me to gave them some of my few coins. I didn't hesitate since I knew these girls would use the money to buy food or give some to their parents.

Not like those first group composed of 3 boys were in you could think how they will spend their earnings. Probably spend it on drugs(meth, dope, solvent). Too bad I left my cellphone at home since it was raining. I could have recorded that funny but unforgettable experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment