Pages

December 20, 2013

2013 - A Year of Disaster

It has been a wild ride in the ending months of year 2012 due to the disaster that happened. I was thinking lately about that "END OF THE WORLD" stuffs. Since everyone was just paranoid on whats going on at the moment.

EARTHQUAKE

It all started with a strong earthquake that hit Bohol last October 15, 2013. I would not forget that morning since I was still lying in bed. It was around 8:30 am when it all started. Lying flat in bed feeling lazy to get up  when things were really starting to fall. With the killer instinct on my mind I immediately ran outside the house for safety purposes.

At that moment I composed a text message and sent it to my parents.

"Kusog linog dri paps...ok ramo diha ni mama?"
Dad a strong earthquake happened now are you both ok with mom?

While some of our neighbors were outside screaming, yelling and even crying. As they feel the tremors and strong shake. I was able to send the text message and then realized I was only wearing my boxers LOL!.

And the aftershocks would be felt every now and then. Believe it or not it lasted more then 2 months which I was able to get used to it. But some aftershocks are really annoying and would occur unexpectedly. Some instances were in I was caught in the middle of the church.

While praying after lighting a candle in Sto. Niño an aftershock just happened. A moment of silence was felt and you can feel the silent sound of worried people. Luckily the aftershock stopped right away, if not the whole crowd would be on mass hysteria.

The outcome of that earthquake would be devastating. As it crushed and destroyed infrastructures like churches, roads, buildings and almost anything.

And until now when Christmas is approaching some slight tremors and afters shocks can still be felt.

SUPER TYPHOON YOLANDA

Fully charge gadgets including phone for communication purposes
On November 7, 2013 Yolanda unleashed it's wrath on Leyte and some parts of Cebu. Before the landfall a calm weather before the storm was experienced.

The weather was so hot and there was no air that can be felt by our skin. During these times I was keeping in touch with my parents.

The moment Yolanda struck Leyte the last text I received from my dad was.

"Uwan na diha? Kusog na kaayo uwan dri og hangin. Nag brownout npud"
Is it raining in their? Strong winds and rain are going on right now and a total blackout.

I got this text message around 4 am. And could not reply since the communications were down. I had no information and status update from my parents for the past 4 days.

On the other hand I was not able to take a bath for 2 1/2 days. Because their was no water supply, but didn't mind that since what's important is that I have something to eat and drink.

Yolanda washed the whole Tacloban city. Leaving it like a ghost town, similar to a wrecked cemetery. A progressive city was replaced with a weeping sight. Survivors don't know what to do after the aftermath and dead bodies where everywhere.  An estimated of 10k deaths were feared as the death counts rises.

Thanks to other countries that helped the victims of Yolanda. It was really a warm relief that huge help was approaching. Almost all countries around the world offered help both financially and other sorts of necessity. The goal was to help Tacloban rise back again after a tragic calamity.

Other instances of calamities: 

Minglanilla Cebu experience a tornado last June
Alternative Soucrehttp://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/2013/06/19/955764/tornado-hits-minglanilla-talisay-city

Park Mall experienced a tornado last November
Source: Sunstar

No comments:

Post a Comment