Pages

December 30, 2013

Kid Conductor

It was a rainy morning when I left home around 5:50 am heading for work. As I was approaching near a jeepney stop where I usually ride. A parked jeepney was already waiting for passengers, So I immediately find a place to sit.

When I sat down near the exit I noticed that the conductor was a child, he was around 8-9 years old. I noticed that he lack some rest because of his sleepy eyes. While the vehicle was running the rain poured more.

It's December 23,2013 and this kid is awake as early as he could trying to earn money. Wet and feeling cold as he chills from time to time he continue to collect jeepney fare's. I was assuming that the driver was his father.

Tomorrow would be December 24, 2013 and hours from that it would be Christmas Eve. I don't know how long this child be working for this day. I bet he wants to earn a lot so that he can buy something as a gift to himself. And also want to contribute so that they will have some foods on their table during Christmas Eve.

I can see he's getting cold since his legs started shaking. But he keep chanting for passengers when the vehicle would reach a certain jeepney stop. I was thinking on the outcome of this child on tomorrow's celebration.


  • Instead of sleeping in a warm bed and woke up with a milk. He is here on the streets doing a child labor and assisting the driver. 
  • Instead of getting excited to unwrap his gift while waiting for Christmas Eve. He is on the streets asking passengers about their jeepney fare.
  • Instead of playing with their relatives when the night comes. He is working overtime with his driver to earn enough money.
Not all child are lucky since others are born with this kind of reality. Other's would be chanting and caroling Christmas songs. While others would be selling rags, newspapers and cigarette's early in the morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment